What do the United Emirates (UE), Pope Francis, and the European Union (EU) have in common? Answer: Deep worldwide concern over the dramatic and ever-faster ramp-up of climate change on humanity.
What does it say to you that
(1) Oil-producing countries like the United Emirates, whose entire economies have been built on fossil fuel production host the UN climate change conference-COP28 this year.
(2) Pope Francis states “…with the passage of time, I have realized that our responses have not been adequate, while the world in which we live is collapsing and may be nearing the breaking point. In addition to this possibility, it is indubitable that the impact of climate change will increasingly prejudice the lives and families of many persons. We will feel its effects in the areas of healthcare, sources of employment, access to resources, housing, forced migrations, etc.”
(3) The EU ratifies the “European Green Deal” which writes into European law specific measures to reduce gas emissions to net zero by 2050. Member countries now have to convert into specific regulations/law.
Theology And Science Coming Together
Pope Francis, leader of the Catholic Church accepts scientific findings. In his “Laudate Deum,” the pontiff describes these specific measurements:
“The concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which causes global warming, was stable until the nineteenth century, below 300 parts per million in volume. But in the middle of that century, in conjunction with industrial development, emissions began to increase. In the past fifty years, this increase has accelerated significantly, as the Mauna Loa observatory, which has taken daily measurements of carbon dioxide since 1958, has confirmed. While I was writing Laudato Si’, they hit a historic high – 400 parts per million – until arriving at 423 parts per million in June 2023.  More than 42% of total net emissions since the year 1850 were produced after 1990.” 
This says to me that we, as citizens of Planet Earth are in a “new” survival struggle. We thought that technological advancement gave us command over our resources and our planet. Recent weather disasters – from drought to floods, serious air pollution, and more – tell us that nature is far more powerful. We the people are in serious peril.
Worldwide Concern For Climate Change
Weather and climate are worldwide issues. COVID-19 should have made clear that today’s conditions have worldwide effects. Wars destabilize the climate for the entire planet further. We must and can find ways of building smarter, healthier, and green homes, gardens, and environments. AND, we must step up and create change faster!
COP28, the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations, is upon us. It takes place November 30- December 12, 2023 in Dubai. When the leaders of an autocratic oil-producing country push hard into renewables and so-called alternative technologies this alone should be a wake-up call to us all.
May the leaders of the world at COP28 understand the environmental urgency and come prepared to lead with meaningful commitments and actions.
To quote Pope Francis once more “…the most effective solutions will come from major political decisions on the national and international level.” Key Facts to accomplish are clearly stated by many including the Nature Conservancy:
• Limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celcius
• Emission reduction by 1/3
• Increasing the amount of climate funding
Discover more In the NYTimes on arctic sea ice, plastic pollution, and more. The data and the findings are all around us. What’s needed is the will among all of us consumers to find ways to convert the information into personal contributions.
Personal Will For A Healthier Planet
Pope Francis goes on to state that “Efforts by households to reduce pollution and waste, and to consume with prudence, are creating a new culture.”
SHG Living invites all consumers to be part of this new more conscientious culture. We invite you to make informed choices towards healthier and greener products in your everyday decisions. Consumers can and must make decisions aligned with greater responsibility and contribution to Our Mother Earth.
Check out the many lifestyle suggestions from the hosts on SHGLiving and BE THE CHANGE YOURSELF.